Click here to donate to MacMillan Cancer Support

Thursday 8 May 2014

A set back

5 weeks ago, on a Sunday morning, I found a lump on the good side of my neck. After 2 biopsies, ultrasound, a CAT scan and a PET scan at the Royal Infirmary in Belfast, the consultant today confirmed that it was a malignant tumour. God willing, on Tuesday coming, I will be going for an operation to "whip it right out" as the consultant said. After my neck heals, I will be undertaking another series of radiation treatments.


This has obviously made me re-examine my timetable for Sailing around Ireland and I will be following the doctor's advice very closely. The last time after the operation, I was quite weak, and was unable to lift anything, or put any strain on my neck to allow the wound and muscles to heal. The radiation treatment is the hardest going. It really knocks you for six and then reverses back over you.

To be clear, I am still determined to sail around Ireland but the time for departure could be much later than 29th June, hopefully not. I will be continuing to raise money for Macmillan and following the advice of the doctors over my health and fitness. We will work together on a future decision for a departure date.

No comments:

Post a Comment